I read recently that lots of sitting, and a sedentary lifestyle in general, can take years off your life not to mention lead to stiff and tight muscles, a generally rigid body and aconfused and tired skeletal system.
Because we can’t always avoid sitting, here’s some top tips on how to stay mobile and alert at work as well as keep your body healthy:
1. Invest in a pedometer. I challenge you to clock up 10,000 steps a day! You’ll find that you’ll want to walk places instead of driving to make up the data.
2. Activity Based Working (ABW). Commonwealth bank are onto a good idea by creating interchangeable workstations which encourage staff to get up, swap places and move around. Some of the workspaces are standing to keep you from sitting for so long. Nice one. Check it out.
3. Dominate the stairs. If you have a lift in your building, boycott it every once in a while and take the stairs. You’ll make up some data on that pedometer as well as tone your butt and legs. Win / win and will get you booty fit for summer.
4. Dance. If you’re going out for after work drinks make sure you cancel some of that calorie consuming out by ripping it up on the D-Floor. Boom!
5. Stretch. If you’ve got the space for it, get a yoga teacher to come once or twice a week to your workspace. Not only does it benefit the group from a health perspective but it’s team building and fun watching your colleagues move out of their comfort zone. Also check out my video on stretching that hard to reach space between the shoulder blades that really aches after being hunched over a desk.
Got any other tips? Share them! x